Monday, December 11, 2006

December 9, 2006 Camp trip posts

It's was my pleasure. Thank you for coordinating this. I don't have an elaborate story; just an observation. Our first stop blew just about every stereotype I had contrived in my head. We approached this lamb living in a combination cardboard/pallet slat hut with plastic sheeting. 30 cats scampered around the site. This guy of short stature emerges after a few calls, greets us like we were carolers in the neighborhood and sets about telling us the reasons he's there while proclaiming the Gospel. Some of his ideas might have been picked from my own idle contemplations during long hours in the car on business; others were a bit 'out there'. Nevertheless, we offered our bounty which he politely declined except some fresh fruit and water after some persuading. He said 'I don't need anything, I'm good but those fellas living over in the building are bad off'. Here was a guy living on the absolute margins accepting (actually embracing) his lot but showing concern for others he considered less fortunate. It floored me. And it made me feel truly guilty for having uttered some nonsense about having little going for me earlier in the week. I needed that. It made me realize I've got everything going for me I now realize, I just don't take adequate time to fully appreciate it. If this lamb can, surely I can find the time to thank Him and spending a little more time in Ecclesiastes 5 figuring out what I should be focusing on.
Mark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home